Tamara Jane's cake recipes - 17 June
Sweet polenta cakes
Rocky road mud cakes
Baked ricotta cakes
Sweet Polenta Cakes
Time: 30 mins
Melted butter, to grease
2 eggs, lightly whisked
90g (1/2 cup) polenta (cornmeal)
100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
65g (1/3 cup) sultanas
25g butter, melted
85g (1/3 cup) mascarpone, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200degC. Brush four 185ml (3/4 cup) capacity Texas muffin pans with melted butter to lightly grease.
2. Combine the milk, egg, polenta, sugar, sultanas and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 6 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly. Transfer to a heatproof jug. Pour the mixture evenly among prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean.
3. Remove from oven and turn onto a wire rack. Place on a serving platter and serve with mascarpone.
Rocky Road Mud Cakes
Time: 55 mins
100g dark chocolate, chopped
100g butter, chopped
3/4 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup boiling water
2 teaspoons instant coffee
3/4 cup plain flour, sifted
2/3 cup self-raising flour, sifted
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup torn marshmallow pieces
2 x 53g Snickers chocolate bars, sliced
Hot fudge sauce
180g dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup thickened cream
1. Preheat oven to 150 C/130 C fan-forced.
2. Grease a 6-hole, 180ml-capacity, Texas muffin pan. Place chocolate, butter, sugar, boiling water and instant coffee in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until butter and chocolate are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Cool 10 minutes.
3. Stir in sifted flours, cocoa powder and egg until well combined. Pour mixture into muffin pan, distributing it evenly. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of 1 cake comes out with crumbs clinging. Cool in pan for 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
4. To make hot fudge sauce, place chocolate and cream in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High (100%) for 1 minute or until smooth, stirring with a metal spoon halfway during cooking.
5. Top warm cakes with marshmallows and snickers. Drizzle with hot fudge sauce. Serve.
Baked Ricotta Cakes
Time: 35 mins
300g low-fat ricotta cheese (see note)
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup self-raising flour, sifted
1 egg white
1 tablespoon corn flour
405ml can apricot nectar
1. Preheat oven to 180degC. Grease a 6-hole 1/3-cup capacity muffin pan. Using an electric mixer, beat ricotta, sugar, egg and vanilla until well combined. Stir in flour using a large metal spoon.
2. Using clean mixer, beat egg white in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold into ricotta mixture. Spoon batter into muffin holes until three-quarters full. Smooth surface of each cake.
3. Bake cakes for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes.
4. Make apricot sauce: Blend corn flour and 2 tablespoons nectar to a smooth paste. Pour into a small saucepan. Add remaining nectar. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until sauce comes to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Drizzle warm cakes with warm sauce. Serve.