No Fuss Fitness and Health Part 6
With Lee-Anne Wann
Zinc Taste Test
- Zinc is required for the absorption of every single nutrient so if we have low levels this can make everything else we take or eat much less effective.
- Zinc deficiency makes both men and women infertile and causes low libido. Low zinc also exacerbates the effects of stress on the body and accelerates aging. Additionally, adequate zinc is necessary for optimal physical performance, energy levels, and body composition
- Stress alone can deplete zinc as well as alcohol consumption, using mobile phones, computers and life in general.
Easy to test for and easy to replenish levels
Low zinc will produce an altered sense of taste leading to cravings of saltier, sweeter food. Deficiency can also be indicated by diarrhea, low energy, chronic fatigue, infertility, poor immunity, bad memory, inability to focus, ADD symptoms, slow wound healing, nerve dysfunction, and ringing in the ears. Take note that symptoms may be present, but because they are so diverse and associated with other health conditions, it¡¦s often hard to make the link to zinc deficiency without a test.
The Cough Test
- Often our lower abdominals don't work as well as they should, in fact many people cannot even find these muscles because they have stopped working and this can leave people with low back pain and a little belly roll under the belly button.
- Doing a little test we can see if they are working and if not, as little as 60 seconds in the morning can turn them back on and have positive results in as little as a week.
Health Myths Quiz
1. Is Exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach good for weight loss?
2. Is Cardio exercise (walking, swimming, running) better for weight loss than training with weight?
3. I eat fruit and cereal and healthy foods but still cannot lose weight, should I just exercise more?
4. I am so busy with children and work, I don¡¦t have an hour to exercise so why bother?
5. Why bother with exercises for posture when I want to lose 20kg
6. I have cravings all the time so should I eat fruit or bread to fill me up?
You can download Lee-Anne's Zinc Factsheet here.
You can download Lee-Anne's Chia Seeds Factsheet here.
(Broadcast 23 July 2012)