No Fuss Fitness and Health Part 5
With Lee-Anne Wann
No Fuss Tips This Week: Coconut Oil Magic
Coconut oil has many uses on the body:
1. Anti-wrinkle compound - Coconut oil has been used as a beauty aid for centuries. Because of its fine texture and unique composition, coconut oil is able to penetrate into skin and hair, nourishing and protecting it from the aging effects of free radicals.
2. Coconut oil as an after-shower moisturiser - Coconut oil is an excellent skin moisturiser if applied during or immediately after a shower. Coconut oil can sit on top of the skin and lock in moisture, thus acting as a water sealant. People suffering from dry, rough, itchy or scaly skin can particularly benefit from applying coconut oil this way.
3. Coconut oil for eczema, dermatitis and other dry skin conditions - Coconut oil applied directly to the skin can be very beneficial to dry skin conditions. For those with a tendency to infection on disease areas, coconut oil is an excellent natural antibacterial and antifungal agent. Because coconut oil is unlikely to cause irritation, it is wonderful addition to any skin treatment regime, and can be used along with prescribed creams and medications.
4. Coconut oil as a natural deodorant - Coconut oil is a fantastic natural skin deodorant and is particularly beneficial to anyone with sensitive skin or a dislike of anti-perspirants or chemicals on their skin. The powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties of coconut oil can really reduce body odour, without irritation.
Coconut oil is great to help improve our exercise.
1. Unlike most edible oils, which are made up of long chain fatty acids (LCFAs), coconut oil contains mostly medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs). These shorter chain fatty acids are absorbed quickly and are sent directly to the liver, where they are almost entirely burned for fuel
2. The thermogenic effect of MCFAs lasts for at least 24 hours so, if you eat a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil in your cooking every day, you will be constantly keeping your metabolism working at a higher level. Because coconut oil elevates your metabolic rate it makes many people feel more energetic, as well as helping them to remain leaner.
3. Coconut oil boosts your immune system helping to prevent overtraining.
Coconut oil promotes stable blood sugar levels.
1. Maintaining a stable blood sugar level has several advantages for people that are trying to lose weight, or optimise their performance physically or mentally.
2. A stable blood sugar level tends to lead to better emotional stability and mental clarity throughout the day.
3. In addition, hunger pangs are less severe when blood sugar levels are stable.
Cooking: Because Coconut cooking oil has a very high smoke point of 232 Celsius, it is fantastic for high heat sautéing, roasting or frying. The stability of coconut oil means it will not go 'off', or rancid, as fast as other oils and it will prolong the freshness of your baking compared to other vegetable oils. With Coconut cooking oil you are guaranteed a fresh, non-hydrogenated oil that will last in the pantry or kitchen without becoming rancid, or oxidised, for about 2 years!
See Lee-Anne Wann Real Life Fitness on Face Book for more tips and tricks
You can download Lee-Anne's Chia Seeds Factsheet here.
(Broadcast 9 July 2012)