Matai's Friday Quiz
1. A call onto the marae is known as a ____?
2. The art of speechmaking on a marae is known as A) Kaikorero; E) Whaikorero; I) Korerorero.
3. Hone Harawira has lead a few of these in his time and Dennis Connor took one during the infamous Paul Holmes interview back in 1989. What was it?
4. A fast hikoi or run in te reo Maori is known as a ____?
5. It's a very popular word in Maori as well as the first name of one of our advertorial hosts on Good Morning. What is the Maori word for love?
6. John Key is sometimes required to get up and deliver a 'mihi' at various meetings he attends. For two points, what is a 'mihi' and also, what is the Maori word for a meeting?
7. What is the Maori word for kiss?
8. 'Manaakitanga' is the Maori term for what? Respect for hosts and kindness to guests.
9. Kermit the Frog is Miss Piggy's partner or sweetheart. What is the Maori word for partner or sweetheart?
10. It's what we do a lot of here on 'Good Morning' and that is 'reading.' What is the Maori word for read?
11. What is the Maori word for water?
12. If whaikorero is the art of speechmaking, then what is a 'kaikorero'?
13. Old Man River was a popular song in the 1927 musical 'Show Boat'. For two points, what is the Maori word for 'River' and 'Song'?
14. What is the Maori word for boat?
15. If we add the macron on the 'O' in Poti, it not only changes the sound of the word, but also the meaning. What does Poti mean as opposed to Poti?
16. What is the generic Maori word for 'vehicle'?
17. One of Sarah's favourite waiata is 'Hey Big Spender'. So what is the Maori word for 'big'?
18. One of Brendon's favourite waiata is 'It's A Small World After All' so what is the Maori word for small?
19. Astar's favourite waiata is 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough.' What is the Maori word for 'mountain'?
20. What was the Maori word which wasn't actually on my list last week, but somehow as the result of a GM chat men's panel topic, ended up dominating the rest of the show that day? And what does it mean?
To find out the answers, click here .