Judith Cullen's recipes - Vegetable torte, smoked fish roulade, chicken breasts - 11 May
Aubergine, Tomato and Gruyere Torte
2 medium aubergine
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups grated gruyere cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 kilo ripe tomatoes, skinned and diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste.
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4cup torn basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a saucepan, saute the onion in olive oil until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer until they are soft, reduced and thickened.
- Add the chopped herbs and seasoning.
- Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil. Grill or barbecue on each side until golden.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs. Stir in the grated parmesan cheese.
- Line a loaf tin or small baking dish with tinfoil.
- Place a layer of eggplant slices on the base and along the sides.
- Cover the base with a 1/3 of the tomato sauce, topped with 1/3 gruyere cheese and 1/3 egg mixture.
- Repeat the layers twice more, finishing with a layer of eggplant.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 50 minutes or until set.
- Stand for 20-30 minutes before removing from dish, slicing and serving.
Smoked Fish Roulade with Lemon and Caper Sauce
250 grams smoked fish
5 eggs separated
5 tablespoons cream
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Zest of lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons capers
zest of lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 hard boiled eggs, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- In food processor blend smoked fish, egg yolks, cream.
- Transfer to a bowl, add zest, lemon juice, and grated parmesan cheese
- Whisk egg whites to firm peaks and fold through the fish mixture
- Spread into a lined Swiss roll tin, and bake at 200 Celcius for 10-15 minutes.
- When firm to touch, turn out onto a clean tea towel, spread with the sauce. Add a row of chopped hard boiled eggs.
- Roll up like a Swiss roll
- Slide onto a plate and garnish with parsley and grated parmesan cheese if you wish.
- In a saucepan melt the butter add flour and cook until bubbly.
- Add milk all at once, stir until thick.
- Add parsley, capers, lemon juice and zest.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Corn-fed Chicken Breasts stuffed with Roasted Red Capsicums and Ricotta
2 red capsicums, roasted and skinned
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
1 cup ricotta
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
Salt and pepper
6 chicken corn fed chicken breasts
- In a food processor puree capsicum, oil and chilli.
- Add ricotta and thyme.
- Process just enough to combine.
- Heat oven to 180degC.
- Loosen skin of chicken and stuff ricotta mixture under the skin.
- Place in a baking dish
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and roast for 20 minutes.
- Serve with Red Capsicum Sauce
Sweet Capsicum Sauce
1 kg (6 cups) seeded and chopped red capsicum or green, yellow and orange.
6 cups white vinegar
6 cups white sugar
Optional - 40g (4 sachets) powdered gelatine
- Combine capsicum with vinegar in a large, heavy saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to food processor and process until smooth. Return juice to washed saucepan, add sugar and 1-teaspoon salt and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Gradually bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until sauce starts to thicken. Pour into clean hot bottles.
- Or - Add gelatine to hot mixture and stir until dissolved. Ladle into hot clean jars.