Astars Craft: Mexican Poncho
What You’ll Need (Can be purchased from Spotlight):
- 110cm Mexican Fabric
- 80cm Small Black Pom Pom Trim
- 190cm Large Black Pom Pom Trim
- 120cm Black Satin Ribbon
- Sewing Thread
- Sewing Machine
- Cut out 2 rectangles measuring 50 x 90 cm. Next cut out the neck hole 37.5cm width and 7.5cm depth. Join shoulder seams of the two pieces using 1cm seam allowance
- Cut 4 rectangles 50 x 7.5cm. Join 2 short sides together forming a long strip and this strip to the side of the ponchp matching the shoulder seam, with the right side of the strip facing the wrong side of the poncho. Turn the strip to the right side, turn over the raw edge by 1cm and sew to the front of the poncho
- Cut facing out as diagram. With right sides together match the neckline with the poncho and sew, pivoting corners. Clip into the corners and turn the facing to the inside of the garment. Sew the small pom pom braid around the neckline.
- Turn up the hem 2cm and sew. Attach the large pomp om braid to the bottom edge using a 3 stitch zig zag stitch, finishing at the sides neatly. Cut the satin ribbon into 4 equal pieces and attach to each side of the poncho 20cm frm the hemline.