Astar's Pasta & Bean soup
Here is a really tasty, super thrifty soup that can be made and on the table in 20 minutes.
- Couple of tbsp olive oil
- Chopped cloves garlic
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans
- 410g chopped tomatoes – you might even like to use Italian flavoured tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock (you might need a little extra water)
- 4 tbsp fresh mixed chopped herbs (oregano, sage, basil etc)
- 1 cup macaroni or ditalini pasta
- Few herbs & grated parmesan cheese for garnishing
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- Heat oil in a large pot over low heat.
- Add garlic and sauté off.
- Add one can of beans with liquid and mash until soft using a potato masher.
- Add tomatoes, stock and half the herbs, increase heat and bring to the boil.
- Add pasta and cook until just tender, stirring occasionally, so that it doesn’t stick.
- Drain and wash last time of beans, and add to soup.
- You might need to add a little water if pasta absorbs too much of the liquid.
- Season to taste.
Ladle into warm bowls and drizzle with a little olive oil, top with grated Parmesan and chopped herbs.
When herbs are plentiful in the garden, chop them and place in ice cube tray, add a little water and freeze. Remove from tray and store in snap lock bag for future use.