Astar's fast, economical recipes - 21 April
Fast Economical Food
Baked Chicken in Yoghurt
Time: 40 mins
Little olive oil
2 onions sliced
4 cloves garlic - finely sliced
4 chicken breasts - with bone in
450ml natural unsweetened yoghurt
2 large eggs - beaten
1/2 cup plain flour
2 tbsp fresh mint - finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese
30g dry bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to season
- Preset oven to 160degC.
- Into a large fry pan, heat oil, then sauté the onions for several minutes until soft. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- In the fry pan, quickly brown chicken on both sides. Place on top of onions.
- Into a mixing jug add yoghurt, eggs, garlic, flour, mint, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken.
- Combine dry and fresh breadcrumbs along with parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over chicken.
- Bake in oven for around 40 minutes
- Serve with cucumber salad and brown rice and mango salad
Blackberry and Cranberry Rough Tart
Time: 30 mins
375g sweet pastry
200g frozen blackberries - just thawed
200g frozen cranberries - just thawed
100g caster sugar
Zest of 1 large orange
1/4 cup cream
2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preset oven to 180degC.
- Cooking time around 30 minutes.
- Into a bowl mix berries with caster sugar and orange zest and set aside for several minutes or until sugar has started to dissolve - about the time it takes to roll out pastry.
- Take a baking tray and line to almost cover tray with baking paper.
- Place pastry on baking tray and place another piece of baking paper on top and roll into a round shape about 1cm thick.
- Place fruit mixture into middle of pastry leaving a good couple inches free.
- Bring edges of pastry up and around the berries pinching it in as you go.
- Brush pastry with cream and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake around 30 minutes until pastry is lovely and golden.
Quick Cucumber Salad
Time: 5 mins
1 clove garlic - crushed
140g natural unsweetened yoghurt
1 cucumber cut into 1 cm diced pieces
1/2 cup fresh mint - finely chopped and a sprig for garnish
Zest of 1 lemon/lime
Salt and black pepper to season
- Into a bowl, mix together the garlic and yoghurt until smooth.
- Season with salt/pepper then add diced cucumber and mint.
- Use a spoon to coat well.
- Top with the zest of the lemon or lime along with a bigger piece of mint to garnish.
Brown Rice and Mango Salad
Time: 40 mins
185g brown rice - cooked in boiling water for around 35 mins
4 tbsp wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 green pepper - finely chopped
1 small shallot - finely chopped
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
Pinch each mace and cayenne pepper
1 ripe mango peeled and diced
- Cook rice for 35 minutes then drain into serving bowl.
- Stir in salt and wine vinegar.
- When rice is cool, stir in oil, pepper, shallots, cardamom, cayenne pepper and mace.
- Add mango pieces and fold gently.