Astar's Craft: The Wonders of Eucalyptus and its Essential Oil
The Wonders of Eucalyptus and its Essential Oil
A native of Australia, the essential oil can be used for numerous cleaning and sanitizing jobs around the home.
It is best known for its soothing and decongestant action and is a good addition to soothing chest balms and inhalations.
Some useful hints –
- Insect repellent – Pour a cup of water into a spray mister bottle and add 2 tsp of eucalyptus oil. Spray on house hold surfaces to deter insects.
- Got a cold or the flu – add 10 drops to running bath water, then get in and relax. Or for a blocked nose, to clear add 1tsp to 500ml of hot water and inhale the vapour
- Remove labels from bottles or sticky substance from surfaces such as chewing gum and tape marks…
- To remove wax from carpet/fabrics – scrape off excess wax then dab sponge surface with essential oil.
- To remove oil stains –dab on stain, leave about 1 hour, and then dab with soap and water.
- And for lipstick that gets on fabric – works a treat.
- Nasal and chest balm – add 2 drops of eucalyptus oil & 2 drops of clove oil to 2 tbsp melted coconut oil. Store in a screw top container and apply as necessary.
To make an excellent cleaning spray –
Into a small spray mister bottle add
- 1 cup of water
Into a small jar blend
- 10 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 10 drops lavender
- 20 drops sweet orange essential oil.
- Once blended use an eyedropper and add 8 drops to spray mister bottle.
- Store surplus essential oil in a dark bottle for future use.
- Great to sterile chopping boards, spray on hands to eliminate germs or clear a sick room.