Astar's craft - Flowers, zipper roses - 1 October
Purse with zipper roses
Dish flowers - Exquisite floral designing for small
Great table flowers for weddings or special occasions.
Things to gather
Shallow white ceramic dish/plate
1/2 block wet floral foam
Either a pin holder or oasis tape to hold foam to plate
Twisty vine foamed into a wreath or loose circle shape - big enough to fit inside dish.
1 bunch white ranunculus
1 bunch small white roses
Lily of the valley tree
Asparagus fern - 1 big trail
- Soak foam block and firmly fix to bottom of dish.
- Form twisty vine to make a wreath or circle shape to fit inside dish.
- Fix with small pieces of wire to hold in place.
- Add roses to one side of foam in a tight grouping.
- Place lily of the valley beside roses.
- Place ranunculus to fall out other side.
- Place fern on the opposite side to rest on top of wreath. Bring it round back into flowers.
Zipper roses - Fashion with a twist
I found this idea in 'Get Creative' a magazine published by Spotlight.
These hand made roses are beyond fabulous. I've used a recycled long heavy metal self opening zip and turned it into a rose. Gorgeous as brooches or fixed to a fascinator hat, or hand bag&
Things to gather
Really long black (or colour to suit) zip - 61cm with silver metal teeth
Matching cotton and needle
Craft glue or glue gun and glue sticks
All materials available from Spotlight
- Separate zipper into two sides and cut off the zipper head.
- Using one of the zipper sides, fold over the first 3cm of zipper and secure with hand stitching.
- Continue to wrap the zipper around the folded centre, securing by hand stitching as you go.
- Occasionally fold zipper back on itself or gather the zipper to create shape and details - as you imagine a rose to look.
- When finished with first side of zipper, secure the end to the back of the flower and start with the other zipper side.
- Continue until desired size of flower is achieved.
How to make the brooch
Or dress a fascinator head piece or decorate a bag with zipper roses
Fascinator and small amount of black net or black feathers or plain black clutch bag
Hot glue gun and glue sticks or craft glue
Optional: crystal drops or beaded fringing
For the brooch
- Simply glue finished zipper rose to top side of brooch back then embellish further with drops of crystals or beads.
To make fascinator
- Gather up net then glue to matching fascinator.
- Glue in a pattern to suit, zip roses.
To decorate handbag
- You will need enough roses to run along the top (opening of bag) glue in place along with drops of beads or crystals to suit.
- Easy easy easy embellishing to create - fashion statements.