Astar's Craft: Ceramic coasters or pot holders
How to make air dry or oven baked ceramic coasters or pot holders...
Using 'Jovi' air dry clay or super 'Super Sculpey' ceramic like sculpturing compound makes great ceramic coasters and pot holders. These products are just perfect for this project and can be obtained from Spotlight.
You will need:
- You will also need a rolling pin
- Doily in a size to suit
- Plate in a size to suit as your template
- Cutting knife
- Flat surface to work on
Both products are worked in the same manner.
- Once removed from packets, cut to desired size then roll out to a thickness of 6mm.
- Using your plate as a template lay this down on top of clay. Use a knife to cut away excess clay.
- Place the Doily gently down on top of circle then using the rolling pin, roll across to emboss Doily pattern to surface.
- Gently lift to reveal design.
- For drying:
- If using air dry clay – allow to air dry undisturbed. Will take several days. Once dry this can either be left as it is or painted using acrylic paints.
- If using the Super Sculpey – work in the same manner. When completed bake on oven-proof glass or metal surface at 130 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Decorate to suit.