Astar's chocolate recipes - 15 July
Wonderful ways with chocolate
Chocolate and beef
Sounds a very strange combination, but trust me it's beyond delicious&
1kg rump or blade steak cut into thick hand sized pieces
1 large red onion, finely chopped
4 rashes of bacon, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to season
About 2 heaped tbsp of plain flour
6 - 8 sprigs of fresh thyme bound with a bit of string
2 fresh bay leaves
1 cup dry sherry
1lt beef stock
4'' stick cinnamon
1/2 block rich dark cooking chocolate - or more
Cooking time around 1 ý hours&
- Coat beef steaks in seasoned flour
- Into a large pot, heat a little oil, then add bacon and cook until golden.
- Cook off onion and garlic.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- To pot, cook in batches, the beef and quickly brown on both sides.
- Add bacon, onion and garlic back to pot.
- Stir in sherry, then beef stock and stir to thicken.
- Add bay leaves and thyme along with cinnamon stick.
- Bring up to boil, then reduce to simmer for a good hour.
- In the final 1/2 hour of cooking add chocolate which has been broken into small squares.
- Give it a good stir to make sure it melts.
- Serve with lashing of mashed potatoes and seasonal greens.
Italian chocolate slice - yields around 30 thin slices
70g each of slivered almonds, chopped macadamia nuts and chopped
1 1/2 cups mixed chopped fruit - figlets, pitted prunes, glace cherries raisins sultanas apricots
3/4 cup plain flour
2 large tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
75g each dark chocolate cut into pieces, chopped butter
1/4 cup each caster sugar and liquid honey
Tin foil to wrap and store
Icing sugar to dust
20cm shallow baking dish and baking paper to line
Preset oven to 180c
- Combine the nuts and dried fruits in a large
- Sift in the flour, cocoa and cinnamon and stir until well mixed.
- Combine the chocolate, butter, sugar and honey in a small sauce pan over low heat. Stir until melted and combined.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir to mix well.
- Spoon mix into prepared cake pan, smooth the surface and bake 50 minutes or until cake is firm to the touch in the centre.
- Wrap in foil and keep in a cool place.
- This slice is best left a good couple of weeks before serving.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Little pots of chocolate - serves 4 - 6
This is my all time favourite dessert and a treat I give myself at least twice a year.
100g dark chocolate
2 eggs, separated
1 tbsp of strong black coffee or water
To decorate - chocolate flake or curls
- Put the chocolate, broken into small pieces into the top
of a double saucepan or basin and melt over hot water
- Add the butter, egg yolks and the marshmallows and cook, stirring well until the marshmallows have melted and mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Add the coffee or water and stir well, then allow mixture to cool, but not SET.
- Whisk the egg whites until very stiff, fold into the chocolate mixture, and then put into 4 - 6 individual dishes.
- When quite cold top with chocolate flake or curls.