Adam Newell's Recipe - Roast Cardrona Merino Lamb, Confit Parsnips with Bacon - Apr 11
Roast Cardrona Merino Lamb with Pinot Noir Sauce
1 boned leg of lamb
1/2 bottle pinot noir
1 1/2 litres beef stock
1 bunch thyme
2 diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 bunch grapes (pinot noir grapes if available)
1. Sear the lamb on all sides in a heavy oven-proof pan,
then roast in a pre-heated oven at 200degC until medium-rare.
2. Remove the lamb from the pan. Use the same pan to fry the diced vegetables and onion until the have a good colour. Add the flour and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add the pinot noir and continue to cook until the wine has reduced by half. Add the thyme and beef stock and reduce again until you have a smooth thick gravy. Add salt and pepper if required.
4. Strain and add the grapes. Reheat the sauce before serving.
Confit Parsnips with Smokey Bacon
100 gm smoky bacon
500 gm parsnips
1 litre duck fat
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons seed mustard
1. Cut parsnips into batons 5cm long and remove the woody
2. Heat the duck fat, but do not allow to boil or simmer. Place the parsnips in the fat and slowly cook for 15-20 minutes - they should be firm but cooked.
3. Fry the bacon, then add the parsnips and seed mustard. Check seasoning.