Lana Herewini’s Boil Up Recipe
Serves six (including 3 hungry boys!)
- 2kg Pork Bones
- 1kg precooked sausages
- 5 large Potatoes
- 5 large Kumara
- 5 large Carrots
- 1 kamokamo
- 3 large bunches Watercress
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- Luke warm water to mix
Boil Up Method
- Put pork bones in a LARGE pot and fill with enough water to cover the bones. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer – covered - for approximately 3 hours.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the bones to two large roasting trays, place these in a warm oven.
- Add more water to the pot – approx. 1ltr. – and return to the heat.
- Peel and cut the vegetables into halves or large chunks and add these to the pot, along with the sausages. Now begin to prepare the doughboys.
- Mix the flour, salt and water together and lightly knead until the dough comes together. DO NOT OVERMIX as this will make the dumplings tough. Divide the dough into small balls and add to the broth.
- Wash and rub the watercress together then add to the pot. Bring back to the boil then simmer for another 20-30 minutes.