Editor's Pick

Betrayal

Series 1, Episode 12-13 Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth.../...A Better Place 20 Apr 14 01:19:14

Top Shows

Contact ONE News

Hobbit director offers quake help

Published: 9:31AM Thursday February 24, 2011 Source: ONE News

Peter Jackson says the "Hobbit" production "stands ready to help in any way we can" in the devastating aftermath of the Christchurch earthquake.

The Hobbit director's told The Hollywood Reporter that several of the film's actors and crew come from the region and that "we are doing all we can to support them".

In a statement, Jackson said everyone involved in the production of The Hobbit is "shocked and saddened by the earthquake and its devastating aftermath".

He also revealed that he has contacted Civil Defence to offer practical assistance as well as reiterating that their prayers and thoughts were with everyone who had been affected by what is happening.

In a show of solidarity, Weta Workshop also told the Hollywood Reporter that they had already made donations to the Earthquake Relief Fund and clothing for those who had been evacuated into Wellington out of the region.

Agency Film New Zealand has also offered sympathies to the region. In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, CEO Gisella Carr said "the agency joins all New Zealanders and others around the world in extending its heartfelt sympathies to those affected by the tragic earthquake in Christchurch".

Just two weeks ago, Jackson unveiled the cast for the new Hobbit film  at a press conference in Wellington.

Filming of the The Hobbit will begin on March 21. Shooting will take place in Miramar and at other locations across New Zealand.

The start date was chosen following practical considerations of the filming schedule requirements, actor availability and the New Zealand seasons.

There is no word yet on whether any of those dates will change following events in Christchurch.

Are you in Christchurch? Send us your information and pics to news@tvnz.co.nz or call 0800 886397.
Leave your messages on the messageboard below.
Quake appeals have been launched - find out more here .
Follow TVNZ's continuous live updates .

Add a Comment:

Post new comment
  • royalcourtier said on 2011-03-14 @ 21:33 NZDT: Report abusive post

    The whole focus of this debate is wrong. There is no reason for any of these buildings to be demolished. It is not a case of which should be saved, but which should be demolished. There are few which cannot be saved. What people are missing is that if a building is demolished unnecessarily, and illegally, there won't be any insurance. Only the city can approve demolition - civil defence cannot do so.

  • Adam Chc said on 2011-03-09 @ 14:44 NZDT: Report abusive post

    As a small business based near the epicentre in Christchurch we are strugeling to survive and simply can not afford a day off. I also do not think I or my staff are reasdy for a day of mourning yet. I am surprised the govenment would even consider this, it shows how out of touch they are to the impact this is having on business and staff.

  • annej said on 2011-03-08 @ 15:09 NZDT: Report abusive post

    I must congratulate Bob Parker for his leadership and his caring nature to all people in Christchurch and his unfaultering continual contact with his people, a fine leader and the restoration of Christchurch should go through him and the council and not left to those who do not care about the uniqueness of Christchurch, sack Brownlee, send him back where he come from.

  • annej said on 2011-03-08 @ 15:04 NZDT: Report abusive post

    At a time when the suffering is entering an unacceptable time frame of two weeks, John Key throws the baby out with the bath water and states that the government will buy the land off people who have suffered so much,this is akin to pulling the rug from underneath those who are stressed,do not know their fate and have lost loved ones, more thought and empathy is needed from central govt and to deal with the bulk of the people and not just the business sector.Thoughts and prayers to all.

  • Huatoki said on 2011-03-08 @ 13:37 NZDT: Report abusive post

    As with every issue he's dealt with, Brownlee crashes in with an ill-advised and inflammatory attitude, then scuttles behind his officials and is unavailable for comment. Christchurch needs unifying, reassuring and competent leadership and Brownlee consistently fails on all three counts. We need resources, not divisiveness. If the minister cannot deliver them quickly and efficiently, he needs to go. We deserve better.

Advertising