Lawyers for Conrad Murray will appeal his conviction of the involuntary manslaughter of Michael Jackson.
The 58-year-old was found guilty yesterday of the singer's death in 2009 and faces a maximum term of four years in jail.
Murray's lawyers say he is devastated by the verdict but is confident of winning an appeal.
"I think what went wrong was a lot of the pre-trial rulings that were made by the court in reference to some of the evidence that we planned to offer for the jury to consider," defence lawyer Nareg Gourijian told CNN.
Murray's lawyers will file the appeal following the sentencing hearing scheduled for November 29.
Yesterday, law enforcement officials were quoted in the LA Times as saying that Murray had been placed on suicide watch in the Los Angeles county jail's medical unit as a precaution.
Murray was remanded without bail immediately following his conviction on Tuesday (NZT). Judge Michael Pastor ruled out bail due to the serious nature of Murray's crimes, his threat to public safety and possible flight risk.
While Murray could receive the maximum sentencing, ONE News US correspondent Tim Wilson told ONE News that there are claims that the former doctor could serve only a few months behind bars due to prison overcrowding in California.
Wilson added that while Conrad waits for the November 29 court hearing, he will also be kept away from the general population in jail for his own safety.
Murray in doco
Meanwhile, it is understood that Murray is to be the focus of a new documentary.
The physician had agreed to be filmed in the lead up to his trial and reportedly reveals intimate details of the singer and his life.
The programme, entitled Michael Jackson and The Doctor: A Fatal Friendship, began filming in November 2009, five months after the star's death in June, and features a series of exclusive interviews with Murray.
The documentary also charts the preparations for his legal battle, including a lot of fighting between Murray's lawyers.
Distributors Zodiac Rights has already sold the rights to the documentary to "major broadcasters around the world".
According to gossip website TMZ, NBC will screen the programme in the US.
Channel 4 will broadcast the documentary in the UK.
With BANG Showbiz