Desperate Housewives Trivia!
We've been trawling the internet for fascinating Desperate
Housewives facts for you! Did you know....
1. Creator Marc Cherry said he got the idea to write the pilot after a conversation with his mother. She told him that raising Cherry and his siblings with their father away most of the time made her feel "desperate" sometimes. Cherry based the character of Bree on his mother.
2. Oprah Winfrey loved the show so much, she was invited to the set, and had an exclusive show in which she showcased a 15-minute "episode", where Oprah (as a new neighbour) learned of all the secrets of the housewives.
3. Desperate Housewives was the first television series to win the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series for a show that had not yet completed its first season.
4. Marcia Cross originally tried for the part of Mary Alice Young, but was cast as Bree Van De Kamp. Nicollette Sheridan tried for the part of Bree Van De Kamp, but was cast as Edie Britt.
5. Bree's response when her son tells her he's gay is, "I'd love you even if you were a murderer," the same quote that Marc Cherry's mother told him when he came out.
6. Producers believed Ricardo Chavira to be too young and not suave enough, and almost didn't cast him as Carlos Solis.
7. Calista Flockhart, Heather Locklear, and Mary-Louise Parker were considered for the role of Susan. Courteney Cox was also considered for the role of Susan. Marc Cherry didn't ask her because at the time she was pregnant with her daughter Coco and had expressed interest in taking some time off to raise the baby.
8. Dana Delany, who now plays Katherine, auditioned for the role of Bree and was offered the part. After thinking about it, she declined the role. Her reasoning was that she had played a similar role in the soap Pasadena, and felt she would be repeating herself.
9. Sheryl Lee was originally cast as Mary Alice Young and actually shot the pilot but at the last minute Brenda Strong was cast in the role and Mary Alice's scenes had to be re-shot.
10. A fan of Desperate Housewives loved the dress Gabrielle wore in the pilot so much that she wrote to the producers asking name of the designer so he could maybe design her a prom dress. The producers instead sent her the actual gown and she wore it to her prom.
11. Susan Walters, Sharon Lawrence, Laura Leighton, Roma Downey and Jeri Ryan all auditioned for the part of Bree.
12. The house that Marcia Cross (Bree Van De Kamp) lives in was previously used in the NBC drama Providence.
13. Each hour-long episode is filmed in eight days, typically three on location, and five on the Universal Studios lot.
14. Michelle Rodriguez turned down a part in Desperate Housewives to do Lost. When Ellen DeGeneres asked her why on her chat show, Rodriguez joked: "Because if you're not a housewife, then what's the point?"
15. Eva Longoria Parker and Jesse Metcalfe are only three years apart in age - Longoria being the older one. However, in the first season, Eva's character Gaby was accused of having an affair with a minor.
16. Tom and Lynette's children are all named with letter P; Porter, Parker, Preston, and Penny Scavo.
17. In April 2010, Nicollette Sheridan sued series creator Marc Cherry for $20 million on charges of assault and battery, gender violence, wrongful termination, and "intentional infliction of emotional distress". She said that Cherry created a hostile working environment and behaved unprofessionally towards her on and off-set.