Editor's Pick

My Kitchen Rules New Zealand on TVNZ Ondemand

My Kitchen Rules New Zealand

Series 2014, Episode 3 My Kitchen Rules New Zealand 27 Aug 14 00:49:18

Top Shows

Contact ONE News

Watered down ICC proposal significant for NZ Cricket

Published: 8:03AM Wednesday January 29, 2014 Source: AP/ONE News

Significant changes to the way international cricket is run were agreed in principle by the ICC board today, the governing body said, although they were toned down from a set of radical proposals put forward by the game's big three: India, England and Australia.

"Key principles" that had "unanimous support" from the board at its meeting in Dubai, according to the ICC, included the dumping of the troubled Test championship, which will be replaced in 2017 by the limited-overs Champions Trophy competition.

The International Cricket Council also said a new executive committee would be set up consisting of representatives from India, England and Australia and two other representatives taken from the ICC board.

"Yeah it's quite a significant watering down on that side in the original proposal they were suggesting they would have control of the chairmanship of various ICC boards and subcommittees almost in perpetuity," New Zealand ICC representative Martin Sneddon told ONE News.

The International Cricket Council also said a new executive committee would be set up consisting of representatives from India, England and Australia and two other representatives taken from the ICC board.

The ICC said anyone from its board, which is made up of the 10 Test-playing nations and three representatives of smaller cricket countries, could eventually be elected to chair the board and anyone on the executive committee or influential finance and commercial affairs committee could chair those, but only after a "transitional period" ends in 2016.

"From 2016 basically we're in a situation where any country, any member, of the ICC Board is eligible to be representative as chairman so we're getting close again to the situation that exists now," Sneddon said.

Until then, India, England and Australia would lead the governing body's top committees.

The other significant thing, as far as New Zealand Cricket is concerned, is that their coffers are set to get a significant boost.

"During the last eight years we received about US$52 million from the ICC rights but under the arrangement that is emerging out of the discssions that are happening at the moment we will see our share of that icnerase to at least around US$70 million and with a chance of getting up to maybe even close to US$100 million depending on the value of the rights that are sold," Sneddon said

It was also agreed in principle that New Zealand would also have the chance to play Test cricket, but no one would lose their Test status. The ICC didn't give detail on how current non Test-playing countries might win the right to play Tests.

India, England and Australia had suggested a reduced eight-team top tier for Tests with two countries immediately relegated, regular promotion and relegation, but immunity from relegation for the big three.

Today's proposed changes were yet to be formally adopted, with ICC President Alan Isaac saying "extensive work will now be undertaken in advance of a follow-up board meeting next month."

Isaac also expressed disappointment that there had been what he called "misconceptions" over the 21-page document initially put forward by the BCCI, ECB and CA which was leaked and widely criticized.

 

Advertising