- Emirates Melbourne Cup 3200m, 5pm NZT
1st $A3,700,000 2nd $A750,000 3rd $A375,000
1. MAKYBE DIVA (14) (D L
Freedman) 7m (35:14-4-3): Champion mare shooting for an
unprecedented third straight Melb Cup victory. Impressive 3/4 len
win (56.5) Lad Of The Manor, Confectioner 2000m F'ton Turnbull Stks
Oct 1 then met with heavy support when came down the centre of the
track for breathtaking 1-1/4 len win (55.5) Lotteria, Fields Of
Omagh 2040m M Valley W S Cox Plate slow trk Oct 22. Up 2.5kg from
last year's weight carrying record victory but huge chance at
making it three straight and will start favourite.
2. VINNIE ROE (24) (D K Weld) 8h (28:13-4-5): Grand old Irish stayer heading to a lucrative stud career after this. Ran 3/4 len, 1-1/2 len 3rd (63.5) Chelsea Rose, Shalapour 2414m Ire - Leopardstown Ballyroan Stks Aug 14. Was shooting for an incredible fourth straight Irish St Leger win when brave 1/2 len, 1/2 len 3rd (61.0) Collier Hill, The Whistling Teal 2816m Ire - Curragh Irish St. Leger Sept 17. Runner-up to the mighty mare Makybe Diva in this event last year. Meets her on equal weight terms this time and is a proven weight carrier. Has the visitors draw but must be respected.
3. DISTINCTION (21) (Michael Stoute) 7g (21:5-3-3): English raider who won the G2 Lady O'Goodwood at this trip in England then beaten fav over similar dist 2-1/2 len 2nd (59.0) Millenary 3198m G B - York Lonsdale Cup Aug 16. Up in class and beaten fav again when 11-1/4 len 6th (59.0) Millenary 3600m G B - Doncaster Cup Sept 8. With the powerful Michael Stoute stable and must be considered a danger.
4. GREYS INN (13) (Mike De Kock) 5h (14:6-1-2): Sth African galloper who acquitted self well Aust debut when 3 len 4th (58.0) El Segundo 2000m C'field Yalumba Stks dead trk Oct 8 then finished 8-1/4 len 10th (58.0) Makybe Diva 2040m M Valley W S Cox Plate slow trk Oct 22. Multiple stakes winner in Sth Africa also won G3 City Of Gold hcp and 4th Sheema Classic Dubai before QEII runner-up in Hong Kong. Classy and gives the impression he'll appreciate the big sweeping turns of Flemington.
5. FRANKLINS GARDENS (10) (Mark Tompkins) 6h (16:4-3-0): Another of the English visitors whose best perfomance was a win in the G2 3219m Yorkshire Cup last May. Since finished 9-1/4 len 6th (58.0) Westerner 4023m G B - York Gold Cup June 16 then set the tempo but knocked up quickly in 27 len 8th (61.0) Collier Hill 2816m Ire - Curragh Irish St. Leger Sept 17. Free-running type who on best form should make his presence felt but would need a big turnaround on his Irish St Leger effort when weakened right out of it.
6. EYE POPPER (9) (Izumi Shimizu) 6h (16:6-7-1): Creating history here being the first ever representive of Japan to contest a Melb Cup. Beat Makybe Diva home in Japans equivalent to the Melb Cup last campaign when 1-1/2 len, nose 3rd (58.0) Suzuka Mambo, Big Gold 3200m Japan Tenno Sho May 1. First Aust start enormous staying effort when moved up out wide and just grabbed on wire sht nk 2nd (54.0) Railings 2400m Caulfield Cup Oct 15. Has attracted plenty of interest in the betting after courageous Caulfield Cup placing. Must respect.
7. RAILINGS (5) (J R Hawkes) 4g (13:7-1-2): Emerging staying star who followed Colin Stephen Hcp victory with outstanding 2 len win (53.5) Run Rita Run, Men At Work 2400m R'wick The Metrop. Oct 1 then swept home late to land sht nk win (52.0) Eye Popper, Mummify 2400m C'field Cup Oct 15. Has all the right credentials; with Australia's leading trainer, by champion sire of stayers Zabeel incl Melb Cup annexers Might And Power and Jezabeel, and there is no better guide than the Caulfield Cup. Great chance from perfect draw.
8. XCELLENT (17) (M D Moroney) 4g (8:6-0-0): NZ WFA sensation who sustained a long and dazzling finish to score 1-1/4 len win (57.0) Distinctly Secret, Waitoki Dream 2040m Hastings Kelt Capital Oct 1 then last in transit and matched it briefly with Makybe Diva into straight but conceded quickly 7-1/2 len 9th (56.5) Makybe Diva 2040m M Valley W S Cox Plate slow trk Oct 22. Pay to forgive Cox plate failure in unsuitable conditions. Much better horse on top of the ground and won the NZ Derby so no doubting his staying prowess. Beware the Kiwi raider!
9. KINDJHAL (12) (D A Hayes) 6h (25:3-10-3): Former French trained galloper who didn't have a great deal of luck when 6-1/4 len 4th (54.5) Railings 2400m R'wick The Metrop. Oct 1. Good staying effort in wet last start when 1/2 hd, 3/4 len 3rd (54.0) Umbula, Bazelle 2500m M Valley M.V. Gold Cup slow trk Oct 22. Should be spot on for a this after gallant Moonee Valley Cup placing last outing and nicely placed down in the weights.
10. HUGS DANCER (7) (D A Hayes) 9g (49:9-3-8): Great old stayer who finished a gallant 5th in this race last year. First run for 18-weeks midfield 5-3/4 len 8th (58.0) Perlin 1800m C'field Underwood Stks heavy trk Sept 17 then 2-1/2 len, 3/4 len 3rd (55.0) Leica Falcon, Sarrera 2400m C'field Winedge Stks dead trk Oct 8. Turned in a real eyecatcher behind the highly fancied Leica Falcon at Caulfield last start. One for multiples.
11. DEMERGER (4) (D T O'Brien) 5m (35:6-5-5): Made a midrace move and fought on doggedly for 3-1/4 len 7th (55.0) Makybe Diva 2000m F'ton Turnbull Stks Oct 1 then found line bravely again for 4-3/4 len 10th (51.5) Railings 2400m Caulfield Cup Oct 15. Adelaide Cup winner this trip and has come into calculations after a solid C'field Cup showing. Lightweight hope.
12. DIZELLE (18) (J R Hawkes) 4m (12:4-1-3): Lightly raced mare who was a brilliant winner of the AJC Oaks in the Autumn. Eyecatching Hill Stks placings R'hill Sept 17 then journeyed south and produced two even finishes in top company when 6 len 11th (53.5) Makybe Diva 2000m F'ton Turnbull Stks Oct 1 and similar 6-1/2 len 11th (51.5) Railings 2400m Caulfield Cup Oct 15. Worked home courageously for 2-3/4 len 4th Strasbourg in the 2500m Saab Qlty here on Saturday. Gets in light and the step up to 3200m looks ideal now and no surprise to see her fighting out the finish.
13. LACHLAN RIVER (3) (J P Morrisey) 4g (13:5-0-2): Queensland Derby winner last season and dual Brisbane winner winner this campaign before 3-3/4 len 5th (57.0) El Segundo 2000m C'field Yalumba Stks dead trk Oct 8. Always same in 8-1/4 len 13th (51.5) Railings 2400m Caulfield Cup Oct 15 at 25-1. Turned in a much improved performance on Saturday when closed gamely for 3 len 3rd Lad Of The Manor 2000m Mackinnon Stakes. Drops to 51.5kg from a very encourging Mackinnon placing. Value hope.
14. PORTLAND SINGA (1) (N G McBurney) 6m (40:8-9-5): Only taste of success at Group 1 level when successful in 3200m Doomben Brisbane Cup last winter. Respect on recent efforts when late finish for 2-3/4 len 6th (55.0) Makybe Diva 2000m F'ton Turnbull Stks Oct 1 and 4-1/2 len 8th (51.5) Railings 2400m C'field Cup Oct 15. Since recorded 3 len win Promulgate, Just Kosha 1200m Cranbourne Barrier Trial slow trk Oct 21. Not to be underestimated. Chance down in the weights.
15. VOUVRAY (15) (P G Moody) 5m (19:3-2-4): Former Kiwi galloper whose only taste of success at Group 1 level was in 2400m E Farm Q'land Oaks back in June (2004). Shown handy form in three lead up races incl 3-3/4 len 9th (55.0) Makybe Diva 2000m F'ton Turnbull Stks Oct 1 then trapped wide and pay to forgive 19-1/4 len last (51.5) Railings 2400m Caulfield Cup Oct 15. Since finished 6-1/2 len 9th (55.5) Lad Of The Manor 2000m F'ton Mackinnon Stks Oct 29. Mare who faces tough assignment but a proven stayer and will be very competitive.
16. ON A JEUNE (11) (P J Montgomerie) 5g (32:7-4-5): Faces far harder assignment this time following dh, sht nk 3rd (57.5) Eddy And D'Postman, Al Borak, 2306m Benalla Cup dead trk Oct 2 and sht 1/2 hd win (53.0) Brave Lancer, Men At Work 2400m Geelong Cup Oct 19. Struggled to finish 11th in this event last year. Racing well but this represents a much tougher proposition.
17. UMBULA (8) (M G Price) 6g (42:10-8-7): Weakended to finish 5-1/2 len 5th (53.5) Leica Falcon 2400m C'field Winedge Stks dead trk Oct 8, then faced easier task when 1/2 hd win (55.0) Bazelle, Kindjhal 2500m M Valley M.V. Gold Cup slow trk Oct 22. Useful winter class galloper who faces a much tougher assignment here.
18. BAZELLE (22) (P P Jenkins) 6m (25:6-1-1): Kiwi galloper at long odds and finish accordingly when 6-1/4 len 9th (53.5) Activation 2000m C'field Coongy Hcp Oct 15, then held ground when 1/2 hd 2nd (54.5) Umbula 2500m M Valley M.V. Gold Cup slow trk Oct 22. Surprise winner of 3200m Ellerslie Auckland Cup back in Jan. Bred along stout staying lines. Rough hope down in the weights.
19. ENVOY (2) (K S Kelso) 7g (34:6-3-4): New Zealand visitor who was no match for winner but boxed on soundly for 6-1/4 len 4th (59.0) Xcellent 2040m Hastings Kelt Capital Oct 1 then found line in workmanlike fashion 1-3/4 len 6th (55.0) On A Jeune 2400m Geelong Cup Oct 19. Never got a crack at them on Saturday when 8 len 11th Strasbourg in the 2500m Saab Qlty. Won 2200m G2 Hawkes Bay Cup and 2nd in the Adelaide Cup over this distance. Chance.
20. RIZON (16) (C I Brown) 6g (31:4-5-1): Failed to flatter when held ground 9-3/4 len 9th (54.0) Leica Falcon 2400m C'field Winedge Stks dead trk Oct 8. Best of five runs this prep when 1-1/2 len 5th (55.0) On A Jeune 2400m Geelong Cup Oct 19. Even finish when 6-3/4 len 9th (53.0) Strasbourg 2500m F'ton Saab Qlty Oct 29 at 30-1. Tougher task this time and others looked to have his measure.
21. STRASBOURG (6) (J B Cummings) 6g (28:3-2-3): Cricket score odds when 3-1/4 len 4th (58.0) Mummify 2000m R'wick Craven Plate Oct 1, then 3 len 8th (57.5) Bush Honey 2400m R'wick Tatt's Club Cup Oct 15 when tightened for room. Comes into contention here after determined 1-1/4 len win (52.0) Bush Honey, Mr Celebrity 2500m F'ton Saab Qlty Oct 29. With the `Cups King' Bart Cummings and can't be dismissed after gutsy Saab win on Saturday.
22. LEICA FALCON (20) (R A Freyer) 4g (9:5-0-0): Lightly raced but made rapid progress winning his first four runs this prep incl 2-1/2 len win (52.0) Sarrera, Hugs Dancer 2400m C'field Winedge Stks dead trk Oct 8. Struck interference near 600m and his effort was full of merit when made ground from rear of field for 1-1/4 len 5th (49.0) Railings 2400m C'field Cup Oct 15. Sure to be making his claim in the closing stages.
23. MR CELEBRITY (19) (Ms G Waterhouse) 5g (9:6-1-0): Won two of four this prep incl soft hd win (58.0) Shania Dane, Outback Prince 1600m R'wick George Main Sept 24, then beaten fav when 1-3/4 len 4th (52.0) Desert War 1600m R'wick Epsom Hcp Oct 1 when hung out. Rattled late and a tragedy beaten after barrier misshap in the Geelong Cup two weeks back when declared a non-runner. Wound up strongly again in latest 1-1/4 len, lg hd 3rd (55.0) Strasbourg, Bush Honey 2500m F'ton Saab Qlty Oct 29. Lightly raced but very classy and has been set for this. Rates among the best of the lightweight chances.
24. KAMSKY (23) (J B Cummings) 4g (16:2-1-4): Coming off a light preparation with third-up midfield 8-1/2 len 7th (52.0) Show Barry 2025m Cranbourne Cup dead trk Oct 5 and 3-1/4 len 9th (52.0) On A Jeune 2400m Geelong Cup Oct 19. Turned in a respectable run here on Saturday with 4-1/2 len 6th (52.0) Strasbourg 2500m F'ton Saab Qlty Oct 29. Peaked last prep with 3rd 2500m M'ville S.A. Derby. Rough
show for a place only.