Our House Rules
OUR HOUSE RULES
Like anything, there are a few rules around using our websites, apps and social media pages. We've done what we can to make them simple and straightforward and we've split them up into three bite-sized chunks. When we sayHouse Rules,it includes any or all of the following:
-General House Rules
Our standard rules around using the site to keep everyone safe.
-Social House Rules
Special rules for when you join the conversation online.
Our commitment to keeping your personal information safe.
The standard rules which apply when you enter TVNZ-run competitions.
Throughout these House Rules we talk a fair bit about our websites, apps and social media pages. So to make things easy, we'll just refer to them as oursites.
GENERAL HOUSE RULES
These are our standard rules around using any of our sites. That includes videos, pictures, logos and anything else you might find there.
Please read these rules carefully before you get started.
Accepting the rules.
1.When you use the site, you agree to stick to the House Rules and any laws that apply.
2. If you don't agree with the rules, please don't use the site.
3. We may tweak or update these rules from time to time. So its a good idea to check-in occasionally and make sure you're up-to-date. If you keep using the site, well take it that you continue to agree with the House Rules.
Who can use the site?
1.Anyone can watch G rated content on the site.
2. Since we all play a role in looking out for Kiwi kids best interests any PGR and AO rated content can only be accessed by a registered user.
3. To register, you need to be 13 or older. If you're over 13 but under 18, you can only register if your parent or guardian says its okay. In that case, its on them to read, understand and agree to these House Rules.
4. Parents and guardians: we encourage you to take an active interest in what your kids watch and do on the site. Not all content will be suitable for younger users. Ultimately, you will be responsible for the actions of your under 18s on our site.
5. Dont lie about your age to view restricted content. Enjoy being young while you can.
6. Our site is only for personal use. Please don't use it to advertise or sell stuff.
1.Everything on our site is protected by intellectual property laws such as copyright and trade marks. That means somebody owns it (in many cases, us).
2. While youre free to enjoy our content, you cant just help yourself for things like copying, changing, showing in public or (unless we specifically suggest it) posting on another site.
3. Some of our content is restricted to users in New Zealand. This is because TVNZ only has the rights to show it here. If you're outside New Zealand, please don't try and get around this, because its an infringement of the copyright owners rights.
4. Were very careful to protect the ideas and content on our site so that the people who create content can create more of it.
Viruses and hacking.
1.We need to protect our site and everyone who visits it, so don't even think about:
a. Sending any bugs or viruses
b. Stealing or interfering with any data or personal information
c. Attempting to hack into the site or its servers
2. We will not be responsible for any loss or damage to your computer if its infected by a bug or virus as a result of visiting our site.
1.Since our advertisers help pay for the content you love, you're not allowed to use ad blockers on our site. Fair enough?
Links to and from the site.
We have no control over other websites that are linked to ours. So if you visit any linked site, its your responsibility to guard against viruses, unpleasant content or other destructive elements.
Our rights to use your content.
When you upload content (which by the way, must follow our Social House Rules ), you're giving us the right to use it however we choose, free of charge. You're also giving us permission to use your name in connection with it.
But don't worry, your content remains your property and you're free to keep using it (or letting others use it) unless you give us exclusive rights to it (e.g. for a specific competition).
Keeping an eye.
1.We don't actively monitor or moderate the site, but we do check in from time to time. If you're planning to post or share something that breaks the
Social House Rules
, we can:
(a) not post it
(b) remove it
(c) ask you to stop using the site
(d) cancel your user registration
2. If you think someone else is breaking the rules, you can get in touch with us using out Contact Us form. Please be clear about your concerns and give us constructive, detailed information.
Important legal stuff.
1.Naturally, we want you to enjoy using our site. But its important to be clear that your use of the site and any of its content is entirely at your own risk.
2. All content on our site (whether its ours or user-generated content) is designed to provide general information. We don't guarantee that its accurate, and you shouldn't rely on it for advice. We cant take responsibility for any decisions you make after reading something on our site.
3. The site is provided as is with no guarantees of any kind. In particular, you should know that we cant guarantee security, accuracy or freedom from bugs and viruses.
4. Were not liable for any loss or damage that might result from:
(a) Using the site
(b) Any statement made on the site
5. You agree to cover us for any fines, fees or other costs that may result if you break the rules.
6. These rules are under New Zealand law, so any disputes relating to the site will be sorted in the New Zealand courts.
7. Our site is designed to help bring you the best entertainment in New Zealand. So the most important rule of all: enjoy it!
To keep our site and social pages fun for everyone, there are some special rules for uploading and sharing content. Please have a read, get to know them and make sure you stick to the rules when using our site and social pages.
Keep private stuff private.
1.Remember, our sites are public. So only post stuff you don't mind other people seeing. That means its not a good idea to post personal details about yourself or others.
2. Make sure you get the okay from everyone who features in any videos or images you share.
Don't pretend to be other people, companies or brands. And obviously don't claim other peoples work as your own.
Keep it clean.
1.Remember, our site is meant to be a fun place to visit, so its important that people feel safe. Anything that's threatening, harmful or offensive is not okay. This includes dodgy usernames or profile pictures.
2.Everyone has opinions. And were keen to hear them. But be nice about it.
3If you feel like someone is posting or commenting inappropriately, or you're being personally harassed, please let us know through the site, or by sending a direct message to us using the Contact Us form.
4.Needless to say, any links to pornography or anything inappropriate will be deleted.
5.Keep it clean. Literally - make sure your content is bug and virus free.
Don't break the law.
1.Never post any videos, images or text showing or referencing criminal activity, or anything that breaches any court orders or injunctions.
2.Don't post any content (including music, videos or images) that isn't yours, unless the copyright owner says its okay. E.g. if your profile picture is Mickey Mouse, you'd better make sure you look a lot like him, or have explicit permission from DisneyTM.
Don't flood, spam or advertise.
1.Flooding is when the same content is posted over and over in the same place. Spamming is posting the same content in lots of places. Please don't do it. If people didn't respond the first time, they probably wont the second time. Or the twentieth.
2This is not the place to promote your business or anything really. So don't post ads, pyramid schemes, chain letters, junk mail, surveys, contests or anything like that.
Not everyone's seen what you've seen, so, giving away plot developments that are yet to be broadcast in New Zealand is a quick way to make yourself very unpopular. Don't bethatperson.
Your posts. Your responsibility.
Everything you contribute to the site is your responsibility and is in no way endorsed by TVNZ.
Your privacy is really important to us. We always want you to feel safe, so whenever TVNZ collects and uses your personal information, we comply with the details outlined in the Privacy Act 1993 (New Zealand). Its an important law that includes a bunch of rules and principles designed to protect your privacy.
We will collect a range of personal, technical and general information, including:
·Personal details you give us by filling in forms on our site
·Records of any communication between us
·Details of when you visit, where you are and what you look at
·Computer information like your IP address, operating system and browser type
Your personal information is essential to run the site, make sure that content is relevant, and deliver it in the best way for you and your computer. We use it:
1. To make things better for you
We use what we know about you to display shows we think you'll like, make recommendations and so you can save your favourite settings and shows. Its also handy for system admin.
2. To communicate with you
Well use your details to let you know about updates to the site or other things we think you'll like. Well also need it to provide technical support and reply to any questions you have.
3. To make our website better
We use your information (together with other peoples) to look at website traffic, analyse trends and generally help us build a big picture view of how the site is working. These insights are important because they help us to make the site better for you and our advertisers.
4. To help make advertising more relevant
We share stats and data with our advertisers so they can make their ads more relevant. When we share your data in this way, well never identify you individually, unless you've specifically said that its okay to do that (e.g. if you opt-in to hear more about an advertisers stuff).
5. To enforce the House Rules.
Well occasionally use the information we have to enforce the House Rules, or to make sure everyone is following the rules.
6. To provide other specific services
Now and then we might need to use your information to run a competition you've entered or for another specific service (e.g. games on the site). If we do that, well be clear in the terms of entry and explain exactly how we intend to use your information.
Can we share your information with others?
In a word, yes. But unless we have your permission we only ever share your private information with independent third parties - not directly with our advertising partners. And well only share your information in specific circumstances, like these:
1. To communicate with you
Sometimes we may use authorised companies to help us send emails or other communications. Obviously they'll need your details for that.
2. To make advertising more relevant
Well share general information with advertising partners to help them get their messages to the best people. Again, this information will be shared with a specialist third-party and never directly with our advertising partners.
3. To comply with the law
It doesn't happen often, but at times we may need to share information with third parties to comply with the law.
4. If you ask us to share
From time to time you may be invited to opt-in and hear more from one of our advertisers. If you choose to do that, well share your info with them.
How do we collect information?
You know that we collect personal information from you when you fill in our registration forms. But we also collect information using cookies and tokens. This is worth knowing a bit about.
We use Nielsen//NetRatings software to help measure the number of people visiting our sites. Its a service used by many big New Zealand websites to anonymously collect web statistics, like the number of pages viewed and how long you spent on the site.
Adobe Analytics is another piece of software we use that does the same sort of thing.
These pieces of software work by storing a cookie or token in your browser or app (if you've enabled cookies), which contains a unique identifier to track the number of unique visitors. Don't worry though, this system doesn't identify you personally or store any personal info.
Nielsen//NetRatings will also randomly ask visitors to complete anonymous short site surveys.
2. Behavioural targeted advertising.
Its good for everyone if we can share ads that you're likely to be interested in. One way to do that is to share information about your visit to our sites, and other sites or apps you've looked at on the way. For this to work, we (and/or our advertising partners) may need to place a cookie or token on your computer or device.
We only keep your info while its useful for personalising your TVNZ online experience or delivering other services to you.
If you de-register, well delete your personal info - that's all the basic details you gave us when you registered, including your email address. Having said that, if you've given us permission to hang on to your info well do that and well also keep hold of your contact details if we need them for specific purpose, like ongoing correspondence about a recurring issue.
We may also keep other information, like how you've used our services, but that would just be anonymous data. No one will be able to connect it to you, and we wont have any contact details for you.
Other things you should know.
1. Linking off to other sites
Our site may contain links to and from websites that aren't controlled by us. If you follow a link to any other website, you should note that they have their own rules around privacy. We don't accept any responsibility or liability for anyone else's policies.
2. Keeping your info safe.
Your information will always be stored securely, either on our servers here at TVNZ (100 Victoria Street, Auckland, New Zealand), or on approved off-premise locations under contract to TVNZ. Your information will be stored indefinitely (this is explained in the sectionWhat happens to your info down the track?)and used for the purposes that we've described in this policy.
3. Your unique identifier
If you register for our sites, well assign you something called a unique identifier. Basically its a randomly assigned combination of numbers and letters used in place of your personal information. It means we can keep your personal details safe while collecting info about how you use the site, but we can still match info up to you later if we need to.
4. Access to your info
We respect your privacy, and the law around it. When TVNZ collects and uses any of your personal information, we comply with the principles outlined in the Privacy Act 1993 (New Zealand).
So you know, you have the right to see the personal information we have about you. You can also ask us to correct anything that's inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant, or any personal information that's misleading.
If you'd like access to your personal information, please Contact Us
COMPETITION HOUSE RULES
1. These competition house rules and the competition notice that sent you here form the terms and conditions for the competition (theRules).
2. By entering the competition, you agree to the Rules. If you don't agree to them, don't enter. Simple.
3. Until a prize is awarded, TVNZ can cancel or change the competition or any of the Rules at any time, for any reason. Changes will take effect when they are posted in the Rules.
4. TVNZ has the final say on the competition and the Rules. As they say: TVNZs decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. Basically, what we say goes.
5. To enter competitions, you must be a New Zealand resident, be 18 or older (unless a younger age is permitted in the competition notice) and meet all the other criteria in the competition notice.
6. We need to make sure our competitions are all above board, so unfortunately you're not allowed to enter if you're connected to TVNZ or the competition. This applies to employees of TVNZ, the programme producer, any company involved in the competition and TVNZs advertising agencies and web companies. It also applies to these peoples families and flatmates. If the competition is being run through Facebook, Facebook employees aren't able to enter either.
7. When applying, you must tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
8. Unless we've stated otherwise, only one competition entry per person please. Don't try to fool us. It wont work.
9. We've let you know the entry period in the competition notice. Sorry, but we can only accept entries received during this time.
10. We need to receive your entry to put you into the competition. So unfortunately, if the postie loses it, or a cyberthief intercepts it, you wont be entered.
11. We can disqualify you if we think that you've breached any of the Rules. But were nice guys, so well be fair about it.
12. We wont return your entry unless it says otherwise in the competition notice. And well be allowed to use it however we want.
13. We can publish your name and address in connection with the competition. You also agree that we can take photos and videos of you to use for publicity purposes. So be sure to smile.
14. We wont be responsible for any loss or damage suffered by you or anyone else in connection with the competition or your use of the prize (if you win). If the competition is being run through Facebook, you agree that they will not have any responsibility either.
15. Sometimes things don't go as planned. If our competition is derailed for any reason, e.g. infection by computer virus, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or zombie apocalypse, well have the right to cancel, postpone or change the competition.
17. These Rules and the competition will be run under NZ law.
If you win
18. Well contact you as we said we would in the competition notice. (These days, its usually email or phone.) If we cant get hold of you, well have to select another winner. So keep your phone handy!
19. For some competitions (e.g where international travel is involved), we may need to check you out a bit more thoroughly. You agree to help us out with that.
20. Unfortunately prizes cant be traded in for cash. Unless of course they're cash prizes. Then youll get cash.
21. Prizes are personal to the winners and cant be transferred to someone else unless we agree. If you cant accept the prize for any reason (e.g you cant travel on the necessary dates), we can award the prize to another winner.
22. If you're disqualified for any breach of these Rules (e.g. we find out you don't match the eligibility criteria), well choose another winner.
23. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes we need to change a prize. If we do this, well swap it out for something of equal value (or even more!).
24. If we ask, you agree to appear in a promo (for free) for TVNZ or the competition promoter.
Sometimes there can be tax implications with winning a prize. We wouldn't want there to be any surprises for you, so suggest you talk to someone about this before you accept the prize.
If you win a trip
You lucky thing! But there are some additional rules that come with winning a trip that you need to know about.
25. We may ask you for a copy of your passport. This is to make sure we book your tickets in the right name (always important) and can check that it will be valid as necessary for the travel dates.
26. Once confirmed, travel dates and names of those travelling are locked in. That means you cant change them without incurring extra fees.
27. You agree that we can record some (or all) of the trip, that well own the footage and can use it however we like. Don't worry though, we wont use the footage for any commercial endorsement which isn't linked to the competition without your say so. Sometimes we might ask you to take the recording for us and you agree to help us out with this.
28. Unless they're included as part of the prize (in the competition notice), the prize doesn't include the cost of passports, visas and other travel incidentals (including spending money, medical expenses, airport or hotel transfers, insurance, meals, and hotel extras). You'll need to have a credit card to give to the hotel to cover your mini bar late night feast and spa bill.