Broccoli and gorgonzola gratin
2 heads broccoli trimmed and broken into florets and blanched
For the béchamel sauce
250g smoked chicken, cut into thin strips
50g plain flour
Pinch English mustard powder
150g gorgonzola dolce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg
For the topping
50g ciabatta breadcrumbs
30g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- For the broccoli, cook the florets in a large pot of boiling water for about 4 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and beat in the flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in the milk until smooth, then stir in the mustard powder, blue cheese. Keep stirring until the cheese has melted and the mixture is thick and creamy. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Then fold in the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place the broccoli florets into an ovenproof casserole dish and pour over the cheesy sauce. Sprinkle over a pinch of freshly grounded nutmeg.
- For the topping, mix the ciabatta breadcrumbs with the parmesan cheese, then sprinkle the mixture over the broccoli. Place into the oven for 15 minutes, or until the topping is golden-brown and bubbling.
- Spoon the broccoli cheese onto plates and serve with a crisp green salad and crusty bread.
Broccoli with orange and sesame dressing
60ml orange juice
60ml grape seed oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp toasted ground sesame seeds
Salt & pepper to taste
1 orange filleted
2 heads of broccoli
- For the broccoli, cook the florets in a large pot of salted boiling water for about 4 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and place into the fridge to chill completely.
- In a bowl whisk the orange juice, grape seed oil, sugar, soy, sesame oil and sesame seeds until combined, season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chilled broccoli into a serving bowl and pour the dressing over it, garnish with some toasted sesame seeds and orange fillets.
Orange and Shallot Salad
Serves = 6
It is important to let the salad rest and to let the onion soften slightly allowing all the flavours to develop
6 large oranges
2 small red radishes
1 tsp of ground black pepper
2 tsp of chopped fresh mint
2 fresh sprigs of mint for garnishing
8 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
6 tbsp orange juice
- Using a sharp knife remove the peel and pith from the oranges then slice them thinly.
- Slice the shallots thinly and separate the rings. Slice the radish thinly and soak in chilled water. In a bowl mix together the black pepper, fresh chopped mint, olive oil and orange juice. Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a serving dish arrange the sliced oranges and shallot rings, drizzle over the dressing and lastly scatter the slices of radish and the sprigs of mint to garnish. Allow this to rest for 2 hours before serving.